Jackie Ferrari Esq.
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996)
As an attorney Jackie Ferrari provides her expertise for a variety of clients regarding HIPAA. She is experienced in the Rules and Regulations of HIPAA, and can provide guidance and insight to comply with the many facets of this important and complicated law.
She became well versed through prior work experience as an attorney at a top 250 law firm where she focused extensively in HIPAA matters.
Organizations and people listed below are by law required to protect an individual's private health information, and to comply with HIPAA privacy measures and regulations:
• Doctors, Pharmacies, Hospitals, Medical Clinics, Nursing Homes and other Health Care Providers
• Health Insurance Companies, Organizations, Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs), Independent Physician Associations and Provider Networks
• Even Medicare, Medicaid and other State and Federal Government Programs that pay for health care
• Associates of the above
The United States Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Civil Rights, is responsible for enforcement of HIPAA. Every covered entity and business associate is eligible for an audit.
In California, intakes by the Office of Civil Rights found that no violation occurred in just 12% of all intake of complaints.
Also, various law firms throughout the country have taken civil action on behalf of clients when they felt that their rights had been violated under this act.
Ms. Ferrari can examine mechanisms for compliance, identify best practices and can help discover risks and vulnerabilities in new organizations, or in existing organizations where issues may not have come to light.
• Review and/or develop business associate agreements and other HIPAA compliant contracts
• Prepare HIPAA compliant security and privacy policies and procedures
• Ongoing services for HIPAA compliance as legal counsel and advisor